Dental Implants: Restore your smile
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a titanium post that simulates the root of a missing tooth. It is surgically positioned into the jawbone, under the gum line, in order to create a strong foundation for replacement teeth. A completely restored dental implant includes three pieces:
- The dental implant itself – surgically placed into the jawbone
- The abutment – a connector between the implant and crown
- The replacement crown – the part that is visible and looks like a tooth
Dental implant placement is a team effort between an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and a restorative dentist. Typically, we will surgically place the implant and the abutment, and the crown will be completed by your restorative dentist.
Better Way to Replace Teeth
Dental implants look, feel and function just like natural teeth and are widely recognized as the best replacement method. A natural tooth consists of a root and a crown. If you compare natural teeth to implant-supported replacement teeth, you’ll see they have the same basic parts. Both have a crown and both have a “root” that holds the tooth securely under the gum and is anchored into the jaw. The difference is that the implant is made of titanium – the same time tested material used by surgeons for artificial joints.
Overview of Dental Implant Placement
2. Tooth Loss
3. Healed Bone
4. Implant Placed
6. Implant Restored
The Step-By-Step Process
- Consultation and Treatment Plan – The initial phase of the dental implant process starts here. Imaging will be obtained along with your medical history to give us a clear picture of your current health. We will then explore treatment options.
- Extraction – The next step is to have the tooth in question extracted. In some cases, we may be able to place the implant immediately following the extraction. In others, bone grafting or further planning may be required prior implant placement.
- Missing Teeth – Often times a patient will present to the office with a missing tooth or be completely edentulous. Missing teeth over a period of time can cause your jaw bone to atrophy, or resorb. In this case, bone grafting will likely be necessary.
- Bone Grafting – Most bone grafting procedures are done to restore your bone to its previous form prior to tooth loss, gum disease or trauma. This ensures the implant will be adequately supported when it is placed in the jaw. This procedure is typically followed by several months of healing before a dental implant can be placed.
- Dental Implant Surgery – During the implant procedure, the surgeon makes a small incision in the gum tissue to reveal the bone, preps area with the use of surgical instruments, and gently inserts the titanium implant into your jawbone.
- Osseointegration – Now the healing begins. As the surrounding bone fuses with the dental implant, it is creating a strong foundation for artificial teeth. The length of time varies from person to person, depending upon the quality and quantity of bone.
- Abutment Placement – After osseointegration occurs, the surgeon places an abutment or a healing cap onto the implant. This allows gum tissue to mature and provides access to the implant.
- Final Restoration – The permanent crown is placed on top of the abutment. Typically, the final restoration is fabricated by your general dentist or a prosthodontist.
In general, once your implants are placed, you can expect your treatment to be completed anywhere from 4 to 12 months. It is difficult to give you a specific time-frame for completion of your treatment until after the implants are ready for restoration, as each patients healing time can vary.
Patient Reviews for Dental Implants
Oakland Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center
Dr Azzapardi and his staff are the best. The front desk staff were kind and courteous at all times. The surgical assistants were caring and informative of what was happening and what we were going to do. The front desk Staff patiently described the costs for the procedure. They were sure that i understood the costs, when they would be due and what insurance did and didn't cover. The surgical assistants were friendly and caring. Answering all my questions in any detail that i asked. I would recommend this Dr and his staff to all for any oral surgery procedure you may need. AAA+++++++++
- mark m
Dr Royal called me to see how I was doing after surgery. Really wonderful. I will miss seeing them.
- Barbara G
Exceptional personal care.....
- Robert M
Always exceptional care.
- Jim A
Dr Haskins & his staff are amazing. They are knowledgeable, professional, and are a true joy to work with.
- Tanya P
I wouldn't let any other oral surgeon or any other staff touch my precious teeth and implants! You are the best!
- Denise S
The whole staff is very personable and professional
- Johnny B
A special thank you to Dr. Chames. I was scared to death and did not want to be in your office. You explained everything to me and treated me kindly knowing that I was afraid. I had two implants and just got the clear from Dr. Chames to get my real teeth. I am thrilled at his work and I will definitely will use him again for anything else I need done. I am a patient for life. Also a special shout out to Yvonne for always being at my side and never leaving. I am grateful to you both.
- Linda K
Dr. K and the Entire Staff @ the Livonia Office are all Great people to work with and always very nice!!!
- Lance B
My review with Oakland Oral Surgery & Dr. Azzopardi starts 10 years ago when my daughter had her wisdom teeth out. We were pleased with the care she received. When it turned out that I found myself needing an oral surgeon, I remembered Dr. Azzopardi... I have had extensive procedures; socket grafts, bone grafts and implants. Five implants in total... Dr A. was thorough in explaining how each procedure was related to the next and laid out a long term plan, necessary for a successful outcome. His staff went above and beyond to ease my fears (as I’m such a baby) even holding my hand if I needed some support. I never felt any pain! It can be pretty scary picking out an oral surgeon and that is why I decided to write a favorable review recommending Dr. Azzopardi.
- Deanna P
Super friendly and professional personnel at all levels. Highly recommended.
- David H
Everybody is so nice and helpful!! Doctor was knowledgeable and explains everything in detail and great at what he does!! Thankyou
- Joni G
Great experience. Very compassionate, patient & professional
- Paul B
This office has very good doctors and staffs.
- Akemi I
Excellent care from Dr. Azzopatdi and staff.
- Patricia Sullivan S
I am midway through implants. I have completed the bone grafts and now waiting for the implant surgery. To date, everything has gone smoothly. Every appointment has been right on time and there have been no problems.
- Gary B
I had no pain with or after my procedure.
- Carroll G
They provide trustworthy surgery.
- Genta M
I had a great experience with my implants.I feel lucky to have doctor chames as my surgeon.he's very experienced doctor,as well as a great person.
- Eduardo M
Great job by all!
- Ken H
Going to this office for my implant was awesome, the staff and Doctor were the best. I wish everyone could experience the service I have experienced. They are GREAT!!!!!
- Aaron hughes M
I was very pleased with care I received. Everyone was very courteous, very friendly. They treated me like family. I made sure to tell my dentist how pleased I was with his referral.
- Patricia S
Dr Kissoondial is very professional and very kind. We really appreciate him!
- Wilbur W
I was very satisfied and pleased. I would highly recommend this practice.
- Belinda M
Dr. K and Sam were great. Answered all my questions and put me at ease.
- Christine G
- Teddy J
Courtesy and competency have been consistent for our whole family for many years. We feel secure in all their teaching and treatments.
- Gerryanna L
Great experience-was a bit worried about procedure but worked out great and implants were easy and pretty much pain free.
- Larry H
Very happy with all aspects of this practice. Very professional and great outcome for my implant procedure. Thanks, Jack and staff!
- Carol P
You guys have been great! Thank you!
- Elizabeth G
I had such a great experience there!!! I was so nervous before each surgery, but my docter helped calm me & reassure me that he really knew what he is was doing! I would not go to any other place.. they have wonderful staff & doctors.
- Kelly W
From reception to surgery, the staff and level of service at Oakland Oral Surgery was outstanding. This was my first experience with a dental implant and I had ZERO surprises, minimal discomfort, and very competitive price. I would strongly recommend the team at Oakland Oral Surgery. Jerry R.
- Jerry R
Dr. Royal and all the staff at the office made my implant experience stress free. Everyone at the office is very friendly and professional. My son had his wisdom teeth removed by Dr. Royal . I would send my friends to this office. Thanks everyone.
- Debbie G
Over the years I have had 5 dental implants done by Dr. Azzopardi, the last one being six months ago. Always well explained and performed. I am a very satisfied patient.
- Bruce D
Dr. Kissoondial and his team of Dental Assistants were courteous and patient while performing both a Wisdom tooth extraction and Dental Implant. They made sure I was comfortable throughout both procedures, by answering any questions in detail and providing positive feedback. I would highly recommend Oakland Oral Surgery for your dental needs!
- Pramod S
If you are anything like me and get anxious about dental work, rest assured that you will be in good hands. I had an extraction and bone graft done. After healing a dental implant was placed and I'm extremely happy with the results! Not only did Dr. Kissoondial do excellent work, he kept my mind at ease throughout the entire process.
- Ian M