Dental Implants: Restore your smile
A dental implant is a titanium post that simulates the root of a missing tooth. It is surgically positioned into the jawbone, under the gum line, in order to create a strong foundation for replacement teeth. A completely restored dental implant includes three pieces:
- The dental implant itself – surgically placed into the jawbone
- The abutment – a connector between the implant and crown
- The replacement crown – the part that is visible and looks like a tooth
Dental implant placement is a team effort between an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and a restorative dentist. Typically, we will surgically place the implant and the abutment, and the crown will be completed by your restorative dentist.
Dental Implants Replace Teeth
Dental implants look, feel and function just like natural teeth and are widely recognized as the best replacement method. A natural tooth consists of a root and a crown. If you compare natural teeth to implant-supported replacement teeth, you’ll see they have the same basic parts. Both have a crown and both have a “root” that holds the tooth securely under the gum and is anchored into the jaw. The difference is that the implant is made of titanium – the same time tested material used by surgeons for artificial joints.
Dental Implant Surgery
2. Tooth Loss
3. Healed Bone
4. Implant Placed
6. Implant Restored
Phases of Dental Implant Process
- Consultation and Treatment Plan – The initial phase of the dental implant process starts here. Imaging will be obtained along with your medical history to give us a clear picture of your current health. We will then explore treatment options.
- Extraction – The next step is to have the tooth in question extracted. In some cases, we may be able to place the implant immediately following the extraction. In others, bone grafting or further planning may be required prior implant placement.
- Missing Teeth – Often times a patient will present to the office with a missing tooth or be completely edentulous. Missing teeth over a period of time can cause your jaw bone to atrophy, or resorb. In this case, bone grafting will likely be necessary.
- Bone Grafting – Most bone grafting procedures are done to restore your bone to its previous form prior to tooth loss, gum disease or trauma. This ensures the implant will be adequately supported when it is placed in the jaw. This procedure is typically followed by several months of healing before a dental implant can be placed.
- Dental Implant Surgery – During the implant procedure, the surgeon makes a small incision in the gum tissue to reveal the bone, preps area with the use of surgical instruments, and gently inserts the titanium implant into your jawbone.
- Osseointegration – Now the healing begins. As the surrounding bone fuses with the dental implant, it is creating a strong foundation for artificial teeth. The length of time varies from person to person, depending upon the quality and quantity of bone.
- Abutment Placement – After osseointegration occurs, the surgeon places an abutment or a healing cap onto the implant. This allows gum tissue to mature and provides access to the implant.
- Final Restoration – The permanent crown is placed on top of the abutment. Typically, the final restoration is fabricated by your general dentist or a prosthodontist.
In general, once your implants are placed, you can expect your treatment to be completed anywhere from 4 to 12 months. It is difficult to give you a specific time-frame for completion of your treatment until after the implants are ready for restoration, as each patients healing time can vary.
Are You Ready to Reclaim Confidence in Your Smile?
Dental implants can replace missing teeth and restore your smile. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
Patient Reviews for Dental Implant Surgery
Oakland Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center
This practice was knowledgeable and very expedient. I was treated exceptionally and they listened to all of my concerns. I would recommend Oakland Oral Surgeons to anyone requiring dental surgery and implants. Excellent group of dental professionals.
- Lauren S
I now have had two procedures at Oakland Oral Surgery and I could not be happier on how well trained the staff is. Dr. Haskins attention to patient needs makes one feel extremely at ease. Both procedures were difficult, yet painless and efficient. It just doesn't get better. I must say this office is leagues ahead of most others. I usually dread any doctor visit, I actually look forward to coming here. I wanted to write this review to let this office know that their attention to detail and patient concerns does not go unnoticed and is highly appreciated. I would add that the procedures, themselves are done so well, you can have confidence everything was done correctly. These guys are the standard we should compare all others to. Thank you for striving for excellence in outcome. For offering such state of the art procedures for a reasonable price in such a professional and caring manner. Thank you, thank you thank you!
- Andrew F
My experience with this office was superb from start to finish. My doctors level of expertise and knowledge regarding dental implants led to a painless and outstanding final result. Thank you Oakland Oral Surgery!
- Victoria B
Nobody likes surgery so if it is required you want to feel confident, comfortable, and have it over quickly. I got all three of these things at Oakland Oral Surgery. Dr. Haskins explained the procedure to me, made sure that my concerns were met, monitored me to ensure I wasn't in pain and he never rushed yet worked efficiently to get me in and out of the chair quickly. I can honestly say that I never felt discomfort during the surgery and my post operative discomfort was minimal. Both Dr. Haskins and the Surgical Assistant Melissa did an outstanding job and I would not hesitate to return for other needs or to recommend Oakland Oral Surgery to others. A big thanks to the entire staff.
- Marv L
I needed an extraction for a fractured tooth. Everyone was knowledgable and helpful. Ended up needing an implant. Everything went well and I'm very satisfied. Thank you.
- Jill Y